If your looking for something different to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day on Saturday, March 17th; put this “yummy” dish on your list.
Guinness Ice Cream with Chocolate-Covered Pretzels
- 2 cups Guinness (16 ounces)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 15 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the Guinness with the cream and milk and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Gradually add the hot Guinness cream to the yolks, whisking constantly until well blended.
- Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until it coats the back of a spoon, about 6 minutes; do not let it boil. Pour the custard into a medium bowl set in a large bowl filled with ice water. Let stand until the custard is cold, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the custard into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions (this may have to be done in 2 batches). Pack the ice cream into an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- Spoon the ice cream into bowls and top with some Chocolate Covered Pretzels. Serve at once.
MAKE AHEAD The ice cream can be frozen for up to 1 week.
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups thin pretzel sticks
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Let cool for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the pretzels and stir gently until coated. Using a fork, transfer the pretzels to the wax paper, letting the excess chocolate drip back into the bowl. Refrigerate the pretzels until the chocolate is set, about 20 minutes.
Until next time…Happy St. Patrick’s Day!